Title

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Lions select Ameer Abdullah with their second round pick



   Well where do I start?  I think most Lions fans felt that at some point they would select a running back in this draft.  And that thinking came to fruition Friday night as the Lions used their 54th pick overall to select Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah.

   Ameer is a smaller compact back at 5'9 205 lbs.  He can be explosive with quick feet and change of direction.  He ran good shuttle times at the combine but was hurt with his 4.60 forty time.  A time that he slightly improved 4.55 at his pro day.  Plagued with fumble issues early in his career, he has been much better at ball security in his junior and senior seasons only losing 5 and 4 fumbles respectively.

   It was just last week that head coach Jim Caldwell said "that he wanted the Lions to be more physical when running the football." I am not sure Lions fans were expecting a back that is mostly compared to Darren Sproles would be the answer.  Another thought about this pick is what happens to Theo Riddick who seems to be the exact same player as Ameer is?  

   Overall I gave this pick a C.  There were more talented running backs left on the board, in my opinion,  Not to mention some talented players at other areas of needs.  Drafting a guy in the season round when you drafted a similar player last season is not a good move.  

7 comments:

  1. I just don't understand this pick. Well, that is not entirely true. In the context of our GM and his infatuation with bauble RBs it makes perfect sense. In the context of our coach wanting a stronger running game, it makes no sense what so ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Lions beefed up their Oline in the first round.... and now picked an explosive RB that will be doing circles around Bell next year. Abdullah is WAAAAAAYYYYY better than Riddick... who can't even seem to get over 2.5 yds/carry. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does being better than Riddick, on a legitimate level, really take that much?

      Delete
  3. I wanted Coleman but I love this pick. I don't get the Sproles comparison. Abdulah is in phenomenal shape and is extremely durable. Although he doesn't have break away speed I can see 10 to 40 yard runs all day long. Time to move Riddick into the slot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riddick could end up being our Sproles type hybrid player. I hope he is working on his blocking.

      Delete
  4. Exactly... Time to push Riddick to the next level... or out the door.

    ReplyDelete