Title

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Levy and the Lions Have Not Started Contract Talks

The Beard!!!

    Kyle Meinke of MLive is reporting that the Detroit Lions have not opened up contract talks with DeAndre Levy.

Levy is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2015 season.  Levy was originally a third round pick of the Lions back in 2009 and has been a regular starter since his rookie season.
Last season he was named 2nd team All-NFL by the Associated Press finishing the season with 151 tackles and 2.5 sacks.  But at this point team President Tom Lewand said they have not open up talks.

"It's way too early to be getting into any of those discussions," Lewand said. "I do think that you can have guidelines when it comes to negotiating. I'm not sure that when it comes to negotiating that policies or guidelines are ever absolute. We've done deals during the season, we've had deals where we don't talk during the season. In the case of DeAndre, we haven't even begun conversations with him, so I wouldn't know where those would take us, and we'll see where it goes, but every circumstance is a little bit different. We'll see where those conversations, once they start, take us."

For me this seems like a no-brainer.  You have already lost your best defensive of player in Suh to free agency, why risk your second best player testing the free agency market?  Not to mention that Ngata has not signed a contract extension, so he could potentially became an issue as well.






10 comments:

  1. This really is a no brainer. Levy has earned his new deal. Get it done.

    Is it just me or does he seem like the kind of player that would take a fair deal instead of trying to squeeze every dime he can out of a contract? Maybe I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would. I kinda get that Ricky Williams free spirit vibe from him. But I also think that if the Lions screw around with him, he would have no problem going some place else

      Delete
    2. I hope they treat him better than they did Suh.

      Delete
  2. ok, I was playing around with this post, trying to get your picture to show up on the front page. I can't seem to get the pic to work. what format was this pic? Where did you pull it from etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pic shows up for me on the front page. I am just pulling my pics from bing and copying the URL

      Delete
    2. odd, not showing up for me. that is unusual.

      Delete
  3. this is interesting… why does the quote make him sound so shocked to think they might have discussed it some?
    or is that Josh manipulating the quote to make it sound worse? lol

    I always thought they pissed Avril off by not re-doing his contract earlier and that harsh reality taught him this is a business and to do him and go for his… especially with a team like the Lions where the road to success hasn't been an easy map.
    I hope Levy doesn't feel slighted, and I hope they're not doing it to wait on his performance drop this year sans Suh…. that'd just be a bad look IMO for a team guy that's done what they asked at a high level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there certainly feels like there is a vibe from Tom in his quote. Not really sure what the vibe is. But Lewand is choosing his words carefully after the public fiasco with putting a timetable on the re-signing of Suh

      Delete
    2. His words really do appear to be picked with a certain deliberateness.

      Delete
  4. yea maybe that's it. but sounds odd

    ReplyDelete