Title

Friday, November 6, 2015

Enough with this "moving on from Stafford" BS.

Not even the Lions would be foolish enough to move on from Stafford without an extremely viable replacement who has a very high ceiling. This is the NFL, there aren't enough competent QBs out there, let alone mediocre ones. The Lions (and us fans by default) have a mediocre QB, so they (we) should hold onto and support him until they are able to find a better one and they absolutely should be looking for a better QB. Stafford has shown what he is and that is not a top 10 NFL QB. At this point we just have to accept that 2011 was a fluke, sorry. Matt is our very own one hit wonder (its something right?). That said, he is what we have until we find better and we have 2 years to find that better QB while Matt is still under contract.

Name the last team that won the SB without a QB that was performing at a top 10 level that year?


My first thought when I considered that question, Ravens and Trent Dilfer, but I had to look and I found another more recent possibility. The 2002 Tampa Bay Bucks with Brad Johnson. Exactly like Dilfer with the Ravens, Johnson was propped up by the #1 rated defense in the NFL. I know someone is bound to suggest that the 2013 Seahawks fit that criteria and their defense was amazing that year but if you watched the games, Russell Wilson was incredible particularly in the SB when he went 18-25 with 2 tds and a QBR of 88.1. So, I will agree that the Hawks defense was incredible, I don't think they were winning despite Russel Wilson.

It has been, at least, 12 years since the last team that was defense first has won a championship without a top 10 performing QB. Since then, the rules have changed to make the passing game much more potent (2006, pregame doctoring of footballs to the QB liking and more recently an emphasis on calling defensive penalties like holding, interference and such).

I guess what I am saying here is this. The NFL game is leaning heavily on the passing game now. If you have even a serviceable QB,  you hold onto him until you have a better option. You should always be looking to upgrade your QB unless you have a year to year top 10 ten NFL QB.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta agree with the sentiment but not the top 10 QB thing. I think that Eli and Flacco are perfect examples of above average but not elite QBs winning SBs. I get what you were saying at the time they were playing great but especially with Flacco we have to remember it was really just a 4 game stretch where he played great and most QBs average to above average QBs can do that every few years.

    I think Stafford is average and at best above average but probably good enough to win with given the correct team surrounding him. If I thought there was a stud QB in this draft I would want the Lions to draft them but there isn't and its hard to look at Geoff or Cook and think their ceiling is higher than Staffords current play.

    In any case you can't get ride of Stafford with out throwing the team to the crap shoot of draft fates and so it just doesn't make sense. BTW I will try to stop by a little more often been busy, way behind on a project finally getting to the "Fuck it I am to strung out to be effective" point and taking a little more time to myself so hopefully I will pop in here to keep you company a little more often.

    cram9030

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Lions new GM comes in and says, Stafford is our guy and we are going to build around him while ignoring the QB position, I would not be upset mostly because I wouldn't be surprised. The QB position is just too hard to fill and Matt has looked unbeatable in the past. He is tough as hell. He does have that "it" for late game heroics (seemingly).

      There are a ton of holes on this team. Far too many for a one or two year rebuild. This truth makes me think that other more painful moves might be necessary for the long term health of the Lions. I will detail them in another post in the near future.

      It is great to have you stop in to chat brother. I hope life is treating you well and that project gets going in a great way for you.

      Have a great day!

      Delete