Title

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Random Draft Musings

I like taking a guard and trading back
I like the positions addressed through the draft in relation to the team. If the players don't pan out, it's not so much that I'd have had a better suggestion. That being said, I didn't like the trading away of picks to make moves. Not that I'll always be against that, but I don't think this was the year to do it. Too many questions that could need answering, and probably will be answered this year... so having those picks next year, and offering flexibility to go after the final piece, or add to the Super Bowl winning roster an elite type piece because you have so much ammo to move up from 32.
Had they drafted a player at the same position from the original spot, it probably wouldn't have mattered to me in terms of knowing much about the players they got now, I'd have been happy with how they addressed the draft. I like the leadership thing, and quality guys - makes it easier watching with my young son, but at the same time, if it's that simple, I'd expect Mayhew would have identified that from knowing his locker rooms from his playing days. You still need quality players, so let's hope these upstanding guys are actually that.
I like they invested in a fullback even if I wonder how much of a difference it would have made to bring in free agent fullback, or an athlete they can have play fullback given there's not that many NFL fullback jobs but not necessarily because of lack of talent. That would've freed up that pick for another offensive lineman, dlineman or cb maybe rb…. but having a good young FB for the next few years is exciting to me.  Collins surprised me last year, in terms of his value but this can be the Lions fullback, one we'll look fondly on like Corey.
but if you like a guy and you get him, that's good too. It seems fortunate that the BPA matched up so well with the team needs, or maybe it was the number of needs the team needed that gave them options at each pick to fill the "holes" but the picks have a chance to contirbute.
In cursory reading about Laken , it seems like he's played only the left for the senior bowl, and that his strength wasn't in a zone blocking scheme. but that he was also the best guard in the draft so... I like it... add talent to that unit I think will go far for the Lions, and I just overall like the Lions also having more young depth / starters rather than what the lIons had under Schwartz.
What I am really looking forward to is the progress of the last two drafts. There's some good opportunity for impact.
With rookies we know it's bound that not all can live up to expectations and for a variety of reasons some won't have the projected impact this year, and some will surprise. It'll be interesting to see who it is, but as what looks like good guys, and now Lions, I'll be rooting for their success
I've been whining for a draft like this… not that I know that much on the players but we had a trade back, took lineman… things I've been desiring, and knowing the players can be a crapshoot, these players sound as god as any.  
I don't agree the 3rd round pick that got traded was actually like a free extra pick.  That pick could be closer to the 2nd round than the 4th, when the games get played.  It could also be at the end of the third just before the comp pick.
Seems like the pendulum swings to extremes with the Lions - This squad seems easier to root for given the way the character is being played up of the players drafted but talent trumps, and we've seen teams do well with character risks.  Coupled with going with a coach who was like the anti-Schwartz…. it was successful last year but is it reactionary? I guess that question doesn't matter that much, if the team is on the right track.
I like that it looks like the Lions are getting , or still going with getting young.
I wonder if there'll be some old vets played off the roster as the camp battles start?  Or vets added as names/quality players get cut?

20 comments:

  1. You left me wanting to comment on a lot of your post and I will eventually touch on other thoughts but one of your points really stuck out to me.

    "Coupled with going with a coach who was like the anti-Schwartz…. it was successful last year but is it reactionary?"

    That is a very good question. I don't have an answer too it but I do have a general feeling. I think a lot of teams are being highly reactionary lately to character issues. 5 years ago a team would have drafted that LT in the late rounds on a flier. Now he goes undrafted. So, I think everyone is being more cautious. That said, I have concerns that the Lions placed too much emphasis on character. That is how you end up taking a G in round one. Overvaluing a position that can be found later in the draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't mind the guard in round one…. but I also argued for taking chance warlock at 5. I think the LT probably would have been taken a lot higher given he's so far innocent, and the police have said he's not a suspect. It's like we can predict the reactionary process for the future… when HGH use breaks to the masses, and coaches/fo's are exposed for looking the other way… not really wanting to find it.

      Delete
  2. http://deadspin.com/the-hilarious-brady-bashing-texts-sent-by-the-pats-bal-1702598756
    Too Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst part of this thing for the Pats and their fans. They found it likely. They didn't find anything solid, just likely. That really sucks. Either they did it or they didn't. Likely doesn't answer any questions.

      Delete
    2. Aaron Rodgers has said on record he has the balls he uses are inflated to 13 to 13.5, he likes bigger balls (take that anyway you want to). In the report that came out yesterday it said that 3 of the 4 balls that the Colts were using were under inflated.

      To me this is nothing more than the time Barry Sanders would duct tape his uniform to his body so nobody could grab his loose jersey.

      Delete
    3. exactly, a bunch of to do about nothing.

      Delete
    4. yea, I can see other NFL signal callers paying attention to the outcome…. and I can see the NFL being worried about having to suspend some of it's top signal callers. Is it okay to over inflate the balls? The NFL creates more mess. If the balls are important and make that much of a difference in game play, and I'm sure players (QBs) have had balls doctored for years (differ and others confirm it from their time) the NFL should have had the foresight to create a more secure protocol.

      Like if the yard lines are off, wouldn't the ref stop the game and make sure it's corrected? if it is threatening the integrity of the game….

      Delete
    5. there should never be any doubt about the integrity of the game. If there is a question, the game should be stopped and fixed. The NFL knew the concerns prior to the game and failed to do anything to prevent a problem. They didn't specifically do anything to temper the situation before hand and that is my biggest problem with this entire situation. How do you not have extra eyes on the prize? Telling one guy, the head official, is no where near enough effort.

      All that said, I just don't understand the outrage beyond, people want to hate the Pats and will blow anything they do up if it is even close to being outside the lines.

      Delete
    6. add to that, it seemed like they did get tipped off on it, and could've just changed some protocol to take that out of the equation, and the nalso saved the embarrassment having on of their good guys of the game, best most recognizable player being dragged down for something that is probably a bit common in the game

      just another example IMO of the NFL suits league office handling things poorly. house of cards….

      Delete
  3. Since this is a wide range of thoughts type of thread... anyone here wish the Lions had taken a 7th round flyer on La'el Collins? Since he was at the time of the draft not a suspect and now that the police have publicly said he is not a person of interest.

    He was considered one of the best OT prospects in this draft and a 1st round grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have had a problem with a 7th round flier on him.

      Delete
    2. and now he signs with the F'n Ghurls. Why would he go there? Is it close to home? I know they paid him 1.7 guaranteed but that team's o line is stacked. Why wouldn't he wait a little longer, push that deal on another team with less O line talent?

      Delete
    3. Yes. even before he was cleared I was hoping.... though I think every fan from any team was hoping their team would.

      Especially when they pick an OT with their 7th. Maybe they just didn't want the headache... who knows. I don't hold it against the FO.... even though I wish they had.

      Delete
    4. maybe but I'm not sure he's the difference maker for the LIons so in that way, he'd be a nice player if he works out, but I don't see it as the missing piece.
      I think La'el got screwed over by the NFL because the NFL is reactionary to all the bad PR it created for itself by botching earlier issues….
      I'm okay with Lions playing it safe for a bit but I do wonder what other red flags La'el has that just knowing somebody who was murdered drags your name through he mud so….

      Delete
  4. About Laken. Yes he was a 52 game starter at RG only and yes he is not the ideal zone blocker, which is what the Lions use the majority of the time. Big reason Sims and Warford did not look as good as they did in '13. Very interested see how Laken will do at LG. Not only playing a new position but a new blocking scheme. Lombardi loves those stretch running plays, can he get out and get in front on those types of plays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read in his scouting report that he was pretty good at pulling so that would suggest he is rather fleet of foot.

      Delete
    2. The kid is a better OG than Warford (coming out of college). I have no qualms about the improvement of the Oline this year. Ramierz is solid depth at any interior position, so even if the rook has some hiccups, support is there. This Lions Oline is going to be dominant between the tackles.... which will reduce edge rushers, improve the draw play (our fav...lol) and ultimately slow the pass rush Stafford will see.

      Delete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalR4mx0UtA&feature=player_embedded

    Ameer Abdullah, F' Yeah!

    ReplyDelete